Saturday 12 September 2015

I’M PROUD TO BE A SEX SYMBOL - VICTORIA KIMANI

Hate her or love her Kenyan singer, Victoria Kimani, has come to Nigerian music industry to stay. With her current single, Show, rocking Nigerian airwaves, the singer has said she is unapologetic about being a sex symbol.

In a chat with Saturday Beats, she said that her style is an expression of herself.

“I don’t think it is a bad thing to be a sex symbol. My feminist side is very proud of being a sex symbol. I should not apologise for being sexy. I try my best to be myself, I express myself in the best way I can so if people see me and say that I am selling sex or the idea of sex, I think it is the person’s problem and not mine,” she said.

Unknown to many, the singer is the daughter of a missionary. She shared some experiences she had while growing up as missionary’s daughter.

“My parents are pastors and they have an orphanage that houses about 15 kids in Nigeria. We came here in 1999 and stayed in Benin City. They have had the orphanage for about 14 years and if any of the children clocks 18, they send the person to college on scholarship; thanks to people that support the orphanage. With this system they can admit new set of children that need their help. I grew up around that atmosphere with little girls who were taken from the streets who were rape victims, prostitute or a prostitute’s child. My parents would bring them in and take care of them. My mother used to take me to the female prison where she went to preach and minister to some of the inmates. I never had sisters so these girls were like my sisters,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment