Sunday 15 November 2015

I ENJOY MY RELATIONSHIP WITH YEMI ALADE - ALEX EKUBO

Background

My name is Alexx Ekubo and I am an actor. I was born with a silver spoon and somewhere along the line, things changed. But growing up with my family was amazing. I was raised in a God-fearing home. My dad is a disciplinarian and my mum is God-fearing.

Acting

I would not describe myself as a childhood actor. The opportunity presented itself in 2004, I enjoyed the outcome and after that I became involved in major movie productions while in the university. I have yet to attend an acting school. I am one of those that believe in natural talent and more so, a lot of great actors did not attend any acting school. I believe that talent is God-given. However, I am not underestimating the importance of nurturing one’s talent. The day you stop learning is the day you die. I have developed myself and honed my talent by reading books and taking online courses related to my career. I hope to take it a step further in the near future.




Modelling

I did not really shoot into the entertainment industry through modelling. I was cast in my first movie role in 2004. That was long before I started modelling and contested in Mr. Nigeria. I had featured in several movies before I began modelling, but most people just assumed that I was a model. Along the line, I did simultaneous jobs as a model.

Mr. Nigeria

It was an interesting experience and it was the first contest I ever partook in. It served as a launchpad for my career. I was a runner-up and in life, I have learnt that it was not always about winning. I believe I have done so much more with the platform given to me. I always encourage people to go into competitions with an open mind, knowing that they can achieve much more than the winner if they apply the right tact.

Roles

I call myself a method actor because I like to put the character before me. A lot of my colleagues do brand acting; they are worried about themselves and what they can or cannot do. I am passionate about the industry that made me what I am today and my career. It would be stupid of me to take any movie role for granted. I do whatever is required of any role I am given. I try to switch my roles as much as I can to prove my versatility as an actor.

Fame

I am not too worried about being in the spotlight. I still have a lot to achieve. I see myself as a celebrity. Until my name can be correctly spelt and pronounced in Singapore, I will not consider myself as being famous. I am not moved by man-made titles that make people feel too comfortable. I do not place myself under undue pressure, so I have no difficulty handling the fame that comes with my career. The society thinks you should have billions in your account because you are always busy. We are in an industry where the fame comes before the fortune. I cut my coat according to my cloth and live my life the way God wants me to.

Criticisms

People are smart enough to differentiate between make-believe and reality. We have crossed that bridge successfully. They know how to respect you for who you are.

Lifestyle

I was not raised in flamboyance and extravagance. I do not show off wealth on social media. People look up to me so I try to live a responsible life. People tend to judge actors based on what they see on television. They must understand that we are human like them and we also experience pain just like they do. If they approach us nicely, they will be treated nicely.

Bad press

The truth always prevails no matter how much people try to slander you or drag your name in the mud. Irrespective of what I have been through, I stand tall. I try not to pay undue attention to rumours. I focus on my work, family and God. Many crooks keep using my name to extort money from unsuspecting fans on social media and I know nothing about it. I sometimes see my name and face on certains things I know nothing about. Nigerians need to be aware of Internet and social media fraud. People should stop sending money to people they chat with on social media without proper verification.

Yemi Alade

Yemi is a good friend of mine and we worked together on the project, Johnny. It is amazing to look back and see what I have been a part of and how far it is going. She is a talented, purpose driven and vibrant entertainer. I enjoy the relationship I have with her and it is cordial.

Relationship

I like a God-fearing woman because I was raised that way. I desire someone who would not lie, cheat or defame me. I like an educated and intelligent woman. She must be beautiful, a good cook and career-driven.

Style

My style is affordable, comfortable and appropriate. I do not break the bank because I want to look good. I also do not want to spend too much money and not feel comfortable in what I wear. Also, I think people should learn to dress age and body appropriate.

PUNCH

No comments:

Post a Comment