Friday 11 September 2015

MY FIRST KISS WAS STOLEN - NOLLYWOOD ACTRESS, BIMBO THOMAS

Beautiful graduate of Theatre Arts, Bimbo Thomas, some years back, got a break as an actress through a chart buster movie, Omo Ghetto. Since then, the gifted actress has not looked back as she has moved up the ladder to be a factor in her own right in the movie industry. Bimbo, in this interview with WOLE ADEPOJU, talks about her newly opened multi-million naira wine store, her relationship with Funke Akindele and the men in her life

Tell us about the wine store you just opened.

I will start by giving thanks to God for making it possible for me to achieve that because everything is about God. Having said that, I think going into wine business was all about spreading one’s tentacles because there is time for everything. Time to build and time to reap. This is the time I have the energy, so I need to channel everything in the right direction so one can smile at the end of the day.
Would this new business not affect your acting career?

I don’t think there is going to be any clash between my career and my business. It’s basically about planning yourself properly and everything will fall in place.

Many feel you have not been able to detach yourself from the character you played in Omo Ghetto, that you have not interpreted other roles well enough. What do you have to say?

Bimbo Thomas222I don’t know why people keep saying this. I have said it that if an artiste interprets a particular role very well, it does not mean he or she cannot handle others in the same manner. After all, I am an artiste and I’m supposed to be versatile. Omo Ghetto was a success, we thank God, but I just did what I was asked to do. It was like an everyday thing. I did not know it was going to be what it was. I have played several other roles. I have acted a wife, doctor, girly roles that are not in line with violence and such. I hope to be better because we are learning everyday. To the best of my knowledge, I feel I have done better roles, roles that knocked out Omo Ghetto.

It’s just that people happen to love it and I think it’s still hard for them to detach Bimbo from her role in Omo Ghetto. I hope that with time and better roles, they will get out of being stuck to Bimbo in Omo Ghetto. But it’s fine. I love it.

A few of you that made waves through Omo Ghetto still walk in the shadow of the producer, Funke Akindele. What do you think?
(Laughs) I have said it and I will say it again. Funke had always been my friend, even before Omo Ghetto. People have a right to their opinion because if you are not close to us, you can’t really say what is going on between us. You just can’t judge a book by its cover. I do whatever I like to do, I take whatever decision I like to take… I’m an adult and nobody is a boss to anybody. Fine, I met her in the industry but we happen to like each other and we became friends. We can only advise each other and suggest things like: “Bimbo, why don’t you do it this way?” And I can equally say, “Funke, why don’t you try it like this?”

But she cannot impose anything on me, not in any way. I don’t know why people talk like that; we are friends and we are cool. I do whatever I like to do, she does not stop me and she can’t even stop me. Like I said, I don’t know why they say that, but nobody is the boss of the other.

Based on the reservations some have about actresses, what was the reaction of your parents when you decided to take acting as a profession?

I will say I have the best mum ever and I’m kind of mummy’s girl because I’m closer to her than my dad. When I told my mum I wanted to act, she said, “You that you are shy, do you think you can make a career out of it?” And I said, “Watch me now;” and she supported me. I remember when I was training in case I was called for ‘waka pass’ roles. I would take her wrapper and buba, she would even ask when the movies I acted in would come out. So, she gave her support and she is thanking God now.

How fulfilled would you say you are so far?

I have not even got anywhere close to where I expected, I’m not close to it yet. I’m only working towards that height.

As a beautiful lady, how do you handle male attention?

(Laughs) I know how to handle that now. It’s not a problem. For instance, my Blackberry is not meant for any fan outside of my people. I also watch my interactions. You would see someone call you and tell you he got your number somewhere. I mean males. I don’t shun them because you can never tell, they would say I will be returning from Yankee (United States) in two weeks’ time and I want to see you.

I tell them to buy my films or we talk on any of the social media. So I handle them with care and I make sure I don’t misbehave. I don’t see people I don’t know because it could be an avenue to get you, so I’m always very careful.

You are ripe for marriage. What is keeping you?


You will ask God that question o! It will happen. I won’t say I should have been married or whatever. I will get married, I will marry very soon.

It’s like your parents are not bothering you?

No. Like every other parent, my mum would say “Bimbo, Ojo n lo o”! (time is going o!) But I let them know it will happen. They don’t bother me because they know I’m focused and busy. If I were a layabout or something, then they may be worried; but they know I’m focused.

Could it be that you are confused as regards whom to choose among those at your disposal?

No. the thing is I’m single but I’m not available.

What do you appreciate most in your physical attributes?

(Laughs) I think my face. I’ve got a pretty face, I love my face. I’ve got a pretty face.

It’s a common practice for actresses to marry someone overseas and eventually they disengage. What is your take on such?
That is an individual thing; it’s about what you like. For me, I do my thing, whether you are abroad or Nigeria, I go along with whoever I conclude to go out with. When I decide you are okay for me, then I don’t have a problem with where you reside. My boyfriend relocated from abroad and we are together. I would say it’s an individual thing like I said earlier because we have all got the freedom to do whatever we like.

What is the most embarrassing thing a fan has done to you?

That was a Danfo driver and his conductor. It happened on Ikorodu Road. I was just hitting Ikorodu Road when this driver just crossed and started shouting that she’s the one ‘Omo Ghetto’ and before I knew it, all the passengers had come down and they were like do this, do that and all that. I was so embarrassed that I wanted to flare up but because of the environment, I could not. It was really something else.

How did your first kiss happen?

My first kiss ever, haaaa…it was stolen and it was my first love. We were talking and I was angry, trying to report something to him and he was like, don’t be angry. Before I could say Jack Robinson, he had planted a kiss on my lips. And I asked him, “What did you just do?” That was how I had it. My first kiss was stolen.

No comments:

Post a Comment